market-farming - RE: Market customer attendance falling off?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Market customer attendance falling off?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:38:01 -0400

jay gee wrote:

A polite warning to all list members who have
their customers' email addresses stored in their
computers:

Unless you have permission from a customer
to send them unsolicited messages or ads -
don't do it!

Normally, I agree with Jay on marketing, but here I think he's being a little overcautious -- especially with such an elaborate "opt-out" clause.

The key, I think, is to make your e-mails more of a "newsletter" rather than raw pricing. I started my own private e-mail list for the community garden -- if you've been connected with the garden, you stay on the list unless you ask to be taken off it. I've only ever had two people ask to be taken off - I end up taking out "bounced" addresses when people move.

If you say a few things about what's going on with your operation, add some handy tips (gardening, cooking, recipes, whatever), then say what's for sale, what's new, etc. most people probably won't mind getting the e-mail -- even if you include price lists and, in my case, wild pleas for folks to show up on work days! ;-D

Just my thoughts based on my experience.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of

  • RE: Market customer attendance falling off?, Alliums, 09/10/2002