market-farming - RE: wormie corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu ("Market Farming")
  • Subject: RE: wormie corn
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 12:25:51 -0400

I pick and sell an average of 2000-3000 ears a day, it takes 7-9 hours just
to get it picked and moved out of the field then remove the tips would take
almost as long, then whatever the added time and cost for repacking, in the
end what do I have?...Supermarket corn...yuk. local SM corn sells for $2 a
dozen. Time Time Time, time to stock and restock the markets and time to pick
tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash cukes melons.

Whenever you remove the tops or disturb the husks in any way you quickly
loose the quality and sweetness, for folks committed to selling an organic
product I see the problem, perhaps you have no option but to tip and repack.
Who ever said farming is hard work was not kidding...Bob.

Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

"Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Bob,
>If this happens again and you think the time is worth it to save the market
>try this cut the tips neatly off.  Peel one strip of husk away, then package
>same length ears together and price per package.

http://webmail.netscape.com/

  • wormie corn, Hook Family, 09/04/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: wormie corn, sunnfarm, 09/04/2002