market-farming - Re: corporations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corporations
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 13:17:08 -0500

Honestly, I think that organic is the better way to go all around.

I live in the midwestern chemical wastedump of agriculture. In a county
with an enormously high cancer rate among adults and children. Too much
brain cancer and too much leukemia. Could it be from other sources? Sure.
My well is deep, no telling where that acquifer flows from.

Major water filtration system on this house.

Still, I wish the answers were easier to find. We have a Jap Beetle problem
here that is astounding. Last year, my husband sprayed the Elms with
professional level carbaryl. The knock down was incredible. Those trees
looked like Jap Beetle berry trees. And old trees. I hated to see the
damage. However, this year, I let it go and the trees seem ok. But they
are old trees and, perhaps, well established enough to survive the
onslaught.

They look terrible as do the crabapples. Oh and a few other plants.
Nevertheless, I'd just as soon let them go as do the spraying. When they
start spraying the fields around me with pre-emergent herbicides I just want
out of here. Too much evidence to the contrary for human good. And again,
I have an adolescent daughter. She has all the eggs she'll ever have.

Have I done so wrong as to err on the cautious side?

Del Williams
Clifton, IL