market-farming - Re: corporations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corporations
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 12:20:38 -0500

nah, Willie, I got a divorce.

I'm sending a kid to college next year.

I have to have a dependable income and I need another working partner to
make this little farm go. It's a cool place and I loved market farming. I
was doing ok but I can't do this alone. I'm 46 and, well, I do have a
daughter to send to college.

So, I have other skills. And they bring in more money.

The organic thing? It was consistent with my values and beliefs. Not just
about money. My husband was a chemical grower - horticulture...nursery
stock... not food.

I found out he contaminated my greenhouse starts last year. He thought it
was funny. I had to apologize to my customers. If I had gone for organic
certification I would have been screwed. And a liar. He set me back from
certification... I"d been working toward that for 5 years. I couldn't sell
that stuff. Not with my customers.

I went out of business instead. Just couldn't do it.

It screwed with my customer base. Integrity. That's what they want... for
their values as well.

Del Williams
Clifton, IL