market-farming - RE: Calcium for Tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu ("Market Farming")
  • Subject: RE: Calcium for Tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 09:08:17 -0400

I lime at one ton per acre over sandy loam ground that is already at the
ideal ph 6,I am not concerned with increasing ph just getting alot of calcium
in the ground for next season. I find that tomatoes will grow at any ph, its
just that at ph6 you get the best balance of nutrient avaliability. I have
grown tomatoes on everything from peat bog land of 4.5ph to siltloam
limestone soil of 8ph. The best tomatoes I ever grew were on the 8 ph soil,
never had BER or even any insect damage in the seven years I farmed that
land. I was downwind from a cement factory and the air was filled with
microfine particles of calcium 24 hrs a day...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

>Bob, since you are liming heavily soil pH is a significant factor.  What is
>the ideal pH value?

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/