market-farming - Sweet potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Sweet potatoes
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:38:21 -0400

I have heard of pumpkins being grown in similar techniques, maybe a search
on the web may help. Beth

With fall coming up, I'm hoping to try out a technique for next year's sweet
potato crop. I'm going to dig raised beds and sow them to winter rye and
hairy vetch. Then next spring, around May 20 (possibly later if the soil
temperature is too cool), I'll mow down the cover crop when it's flowering,
and plant sweet potatoes through the cover crop stubble. My thinking is
that the cover crop residue will help cover the ground for a couple months
while the sweet potatoes are getting established, and that once the sweet
potatoes start to sprawl they'll cover the decaying residue before weeds can
emerge.