market-farming - Planting beets in summer heat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ken Bezilla" <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Planting beets in summer heat
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:04:50 +0000

For several summers I've tried seeding beets in August. Germination is fine, but then most of the seedlings disappear within a week or so.

August is a hot and humid month here (days in the 80s and 90s, nights in the 60s and 70s), so I'm guessing that it's some sort of heat-related rot. Does anyone know how to get the beets to survive past the seedling stage? August is the last month here for planting for getting decent-sized roots before the fall. I can plant beets in June OK, and if I leave those in I can harvest big roots with gnarly skins in the fall, but I'd really like to get more medium-size beets for fall harvest. Any ideas?

Ken Bezilla
East Wind Community
southern Missouri

  • Planting beets in summer heat, Ken Bezilla, 08/11/2002