market-farming - RE: Sweet potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu ("Market Farming")
  • Subject: RE: Sweet potatoes
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:20:12 -0400

I have sandy loam soil and a raised bed prepared in the fall in the open
field will compact to half its size by May, soil can get almost as hard as
flat ground. Rye grows very good on beds but roots fill the bed making it
very hard to cut a loose friable planting slot. Rye straw gets 6 feet tall
makes alot of mulch and will not grow back if cut in May, vetch will grow
back. expect alot of winter annual weeds at time of cutting rye, they can
develop a massive root system on beds and grow back competing with your sweet
potatoes,grasses like foxtail can be very competitive sprouting on
undisturbed beds, cultivation is almost impossible. Sweet potatoes need warm
loose soil to get off to a good start, I don't see any advantage to fall
built beds unless your planing garden sized beds with wood sides and tons of
compost.BTW I grew sweet potatoes on plastic covered raised beds and had the
best crop ever, check out Steve Groff web page he's well versed in notill
vegetables at www.cedarmeadowfarm.com...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/