market-farming - Re: grasshoppers (was squash bugs)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: grasshoppers (was squash bugs)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 19:36:06 -0400

We'd like to get guineas to help control hoppers as well as ticks. Can you
tell me how to start them? Do they need special shelter when they are first
put outside? Special feed? We've done ducks and chicks, but never guineas.

Sandy
Meeker, Oklahoma

I love my guineas. They need a 60ft pine tree to roost in, that'ss about all.

One thing you need to be aware of: they are destructive of crops. I have a friend who lost a lot of onion seedlings to his guineas and we are losing are best tomatoes to them (but not again!!!)

"Clown Chickens" is what the kids call them.

They are really special.

Oh, and the foxes LOVE THEM!! (We started with 130 last Nov and have 4 (FOUR) today)

-Allan