market-farming - RE: grasshoppers (was squash bugs)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Janet Bachmann <janetb AT ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: grasshoppers (was squash bugs)
  • Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 17:30:45 -0500

My 30 or so chickens and 4 guineas are about 1/10 (0.1) mile from one of
my gardens, and about 2/10 (0.2) mile from another. They are
free-ranging, and get close to the nearer garden, sometime even enter
it. But I try to DISCOURAGE that because I don't want them scratching
out seedlings or eating strawberries, tomatoes, etc. Nevertheless,
grasshoppers have not caused a problem for me in the 7 years I have been
market gardening, even though they seem to be plentyful in the
surrounding pasture with some in the garden. I've read that
grasshoppers are a favorite food of crows, also.

Janet Bachmann
Riverbend Gardens
Fayetteville, AR