market-farming - Re: Garlic powder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: lfl AT intrex.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Garlic powder
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:08:57 -0700

gutierrez-lagatta wrote:
I suspect that in some states garlic powder requires a food processors
license?

Okay, how do you make garlic powder? This might be a value added
for the restaurants....

I have read that whole raw garlic cloves stored in oil need to be packed very carefully to avoid the growth of botulism, though this is rare. I think this has to do with the elimination of air pockets.

A great resource for info on food processing and/or preserving is
rec.food.preserving. There is an enormous and very thorough FAQ for this newsgroup posted regularly to the ng and to the MIT faq repositoory.