market-farming - garlic powder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: garlic powder
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 07:40:24 -0400

Mary wrote:

Okay, how do you make garlic powder? This might be a value added for the
restaurants....

Here's my instructions from last year. I have an Excalibur dehydrator with 9 trays. If you get on Excalibur's mailing list, you can usually get one for 1/2 price in the fall or winter. It's worth having!

I make a lot of garlic powder as follows:

I peeled the cloves, washed them, then tossed them in the food processor fitted with the steel blade. I used the Pulse setting until the cloves were chopped, but not pureed. Next, I lined a tray of my dehydrator with parchment cooking paper (I don't trust plastic wrap) and spread the chopped garlic thinly over the paper. The garlic dried overnight at 125 degrees F. (The house smelled wonderful!) The next morning, I peeled the dried garlic off the cooking paper, tossed it into the blender and let it rip until there was nothing but dust! Once I'd turned off the blender and let the powder settle, I poured it into an airtight spice jar. It looks great and tastes even better! You can even save the parchment paper for the next time you want to make garlic powder-just fold it up and place it in a ziploc bag. You'll never forget what you used the cooking paper for - the smell alone will remind you!

Enjoy!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of