market-farming - Re: curing time for garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Kris Chand <kchand AT island.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: curing time for garlic
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 14:58:44 -0700

We have been growing garlic for six years. In the past two years we have
been
drying garlic "in the woods". We have strung planks between trees about
6 feet
high. We tie ten garlic plants on each side of baler string and let it
hang for
two to four weeks. It dries very fast and it is the most welcome spot in
the
summer heat. we set up a table in the woods to clean the garlic in the
middle
of the day when you cannot go out in the open - it is too hot. It is
great. For
protection from an occasional shower we have 8 foot wide plastic sheets
cut to
length for each "run" between the trees. we drape these over the beams.
Getting up in the middle of the night once in a while is the only draw
back
but still it is worth it !!
kris
Blue Heron Farm