market-farming - Re: organic certification

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Miranda Smith" <mirandas2 AT attbi.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: organic certification
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 05:39:44 -0400

Yes, we just went through certification. Fortunately for us, the
certifier took our seed orders as proof of where the seed came from,
the field map as records of where each cultivar was planted, our
marketing estimate sheets (we estimate what we have available every
marketing day), the picking sheets (organized by buyer, crop, and
quantity), and invoices as the record of what our yields were.

But that is not to say that we're feeling so great about the whole
certification thing. We understand from our certifier that we cannot
use compost tea after October if the present regs stand. --Ridiculous!

We also received information that seems to be inaccurate: we were told
that we could not buy non-organic strawberry plants in the fall and
sell the berries from them as organic when we harvested the following
spring. I have since heard from someone else that that reg refers to
nursery crops, not strawberries.

Miranda Smith

> Subject: Organic Certification questions
> From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
> Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:54:54 -0500
>
> Has anyone been certified this year under the new standards?
>
> We are going to be inspected tomorrow. They are asking for records
of
> what is planted in each bed and a paper trail from packing box to
seed
> packet. We grow three hundred varieties of seed most years and have
two
> hundred beds or more. Short of carrying a lap top in the field I can
see
> no way a small truck farm can comply with these requirements. It
would
> take a non productive employee full time just to manage record
keeping
> for this system. If this is how it is gonna be, I cannot see my way
> continue certification. (We sell 30K to the wholesale market, and it
is
> required.) My other option is more monoculture and less market
farming.

> I am interested in hearing what others are doing about this
situation.
> Are other certifies more lax than mine? (Clemson, SC) Is there a
simple
> system for doing this record keeping you have found? I am in
Asheville
> NC.
>
> Chris
> www.jakesfarm.com
> www.asapconnections.org
> www.carolinaorganicgrowers.com

  • Re: organic certification, Miranda Smith, 07/18/2002