market-farming - Organic fly control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "velta Mack" <velta AT viclink.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Organic fly control
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 20:05:17 -0700

> Does anbody have a source of organic fly control for a small herd of =
> beef cows? Any ideas would be appreciated.

As has been suggested -- poultry - they do a great job of cutting down on
the fly population. My back-up fly control is fly traps. I make my own
using large plastic jars that peanut butter and nuts come in - probably
about 1/2 gallon size - with plastic lids. I drill several 1/4" holes in
the lid and one on each side of the jar. I thread twine through the holes
in the jar and knot the ends for a hanger. Then I put some meat or fish in
the jar, fill it about 1/3 full of water, put the lid on and hang it in or
near the barn. Right now I have about 6 of them around my barn and am
planning on starting some more this week. As soon as the meat starts
smelling, the flies start committing suicide. I move the traps around until
I find the fly fly-ways (if it isn't catching flies, I move it) and then
watch them fill up, shaking them once in awhile. When they get full, I bury
the fly mess and start over. Someone on another list suggested a raw egg
mixed with cheap beer in the trap, but so far, this hasn't worked for me.
Maybe my flies don't like cheap beer.

Velta Mack - Sialia Llamas - Sheridan, OR - velta AT viclink.com