market-farming - Re: hot weather lettuce was bolting cilantro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Don Maroc <maroc AT islandnet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hot weather lettuce was bolting cilantro
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 10:51:20 -0700

Allan Balliett,

We grow pole beans on plastic netting supported on wires strung between
poles. By the time its hot enough to cause problems with lettuce the beans
are high enough to shade the area between rows (the rows of beans have to
run east-west) where we have lettuce growing. We're on Vancouver Island,
Canada, and the angle of the sun is a little different than yours which
could decrease the effectiveness.

Happy farming,
Don /Shay maroc