market-farming - hot weather lettuce was bolting cilantro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "A. Balliett" <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: hot weather lettuce was bolting cilantro
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 02:51:26 -0400

I've been germinating lettuce weekly since, what, that first of April? We haven't been below 80 for some time now, but the seed keep germinating.

I hope this information that lettuce doesn't germinate hasn't put a pox on me!

I'm curious to know if other members have poor or no germ from heat AND I'm v. interested in hearing what varities people are having good luck with in the summertime. (Or did have last summer.)

I'm losing a lot of lettuce to bolting this year. The last couple of years my problem has been bitterness. This year, it's bolting. Black Seeded Simpson has been the most stable of the lettuces I've used this year, with things like "Four Seasons" being very disappointing in their 'holding' ability.

Just now I've seated a few hundred Sierra and Nevada from Johnny's. I guess I should have started them a month back. ;-), but my hopes are high.

Again, I'm very interested in what other growers are doing to make lettuce tastely and reliable in hot weather.

I'm also very interested in hearing about cheap approaches to shading for lettuce. (I need 300 heads a week.)

Thanks

-Allan Balliett
Loudoun Co, VA