market-farming - Re: processing wheat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: processing wheat
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 20:28:59 EDT

In a message dated 7/4/02 5:45:41 PM Central Daylight Time, kampy AT grm.net writes:

Does anyone have suggestions for cheap storage

Marie have you any type of shed, wheat stores really well in any type of wood bin or a round steel bin as long as the steel bin has a fan.  When you combine wheat or any thing of that order in the summer it goes through a period of heat, the wood bin will absorb the heat period without molding but in a steel bin you need to have a fan on it for a couple of days or it will mold, or get a musty smell to it.

We used to raise a lot of wheat for the straw, it was worth twice as much as the wheat, but no hog farmers left no value for straw any more.  We had an old couple would come every year an buy 10 bu of wheat from us, them later in the winter she would bring us fresh bread made from that wheat.  I really don't no know they processed it rather than just fine grinding in a small mill they had.  Sure did make good bread.

Phil from Iowa

  • processing wheat, Marie Kamphefner, 07/04/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: processing wheat, HackettShark, 07/04/2002