market-farming - Re: Spinach

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Spinach
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:04:05 -0500

> couple of years, I've had white-to-tan colored spots of discoloration on
> top of the older leaves. Since I pick the savoyed leaves individually
> with scissors over a period of several weeks from a planted bed (for
> sales to high-end restaurants), each leaf must be nearly perfect. This
> discoloration has cut my yields considerably. I'm convinced it is due to
> one (or more) of 3 things- sunburn, abrasion from the row cover in high
> winds, or some fungus (white rust??). Anybody had experience with this?

Probably not white rust. White rust starts as white spots on the
undersides of the leaves. As it progresses, it becomes visiable on the
tops of the leaves and eventually causes the entire plant to yellow and
look puny.

--
Willie
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

  • Re: Spinach, Peter Worsley, 06/17/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Spinach, Willie McKemie, 06/17/2002
    • Spinach, gutierrez-lagatta, 06/18/2002