market-farming - Re: Spinach

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Spinach
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:50:47 -0700

I thought I knew how to grow spinach here on the coast of Northern
California. But this year I've had problems. I do best with transplants,
but I direct seed when I'm too busy. I plant the Tyee variety with drip
irrigation under floating row covers because of heavy bird (quail)
pressure, cucumber beetles, and high winds in Springtime. For the past
couple of years, I've had white-to-tan colored spots of discoloration on
top of the older leaves. Since I pick the savoyed leaves individually
with scissors over a period of several weeks from a planted bed (for
sales to high-end restaurants), each leaf must be nearly perfect. This
discoloration has cut my yields considerably. I'm convinced it is due to
one (or more) of 3 things- sunburn, abrasion from the row cover in high
winds, or some fungus (white rust??). Anybody had experience with this?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks- Peter

  • Re: Spinach, Peter Worsley, 06/17/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Spinach, Willie McKemie, 06/17/2002
    • Spinach, gutierrez-lagatta, 06/18/2002