market-farming - Re: Reason article

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adam Hainer" <anhainer AT syr.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Reason article
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 16:01:16 -0400

I would like to raise the points in relation to this quote: "The greatest
catastrophe that the human race could face this century is not global
warming but a global conversion to ‘organic farming’--an estimated 2 billion
people would perish."

Let's remember how inefficient our current diet is. For every tropic level
you go through you lose about 90% of energy. So meat eating is incredibly
inefficient compared to just simply planting to grain and feeding it to the
starving populations of the world. If meat eating was reduced we would have
plenty of food, once again assuming there is no transportation problems and
the mere fact that we don't give food away.

Also conventional meat farming is very dangerous to humans, the animals, and
the environment. Incredible amounts of inputs that could be used more
wisely.

I am not advocating organic meat farming as an alternative but simply a
reduction in world wide consumption ratios.

Adam