market-farming - Potted bulbs...any experience out there?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Carole Pivarnik <carole AT tuliphillfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Potted bulbs...any experience out there?
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 07:12:24 -0400

I am new market farming and am still exploring what I can
grow best and sell in the Piedmont area of VA where I live.

One idea is to grow and sell flowering bulbs in pots...seems
like there are at least a few varieties for Spring Summer and
Fall that are popular and which would do well in pots--and
that could later be transplanted into the buyer's garden...
for added perceived value.

For someone like me, who is looking to get the highest $$$
per square foot out of my limited growing space, these
seem like a good idea.

Does anyone have experience selling potted flowering bulbs,
and if so (or even if not!), what are your thoughts on their
profitability and other issues?

Thanks!
Carole in VA