market-farming - Re: Zip House row protectors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Zip House row protectors
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 07:20:30 -0500

I bought two large rolls two years ago. I found it difficult to set unless the ground has been recently worked. It also is not very tall and is hard to remove for harvest. I would consider it only for starting early plants that are very small.
All in all I am sorry I spent the money. A hoop house with 1" pvc seems a better project for us.

Chris

gleneco1 AT juno.com wrote:

 Has anyone had any experience using the Zip House row protection system?  Someone showed it to me from a garden catalog he had and then I found it listed in my copy of E & R Garden Supply catalog.  It consists of strips of clear plastic on both sides of the row mounted on stiff curved plastic rods spaced at 5 foot intervals.  The rods anchor the plastic to the ground and curve towards the center of the row. A single wire or string threaded along the top of the cover in a zigzag fashion from one side to the other closes or opens it by being pulled or released.  It comes in both 25' and 500' lengths.  It appears to be fairly expensive at first glance, but if it really works, it would beat fighting wind blown floating row covers all to pieces. Marlin Burkholder---
You are currently subscribed to as: css AT ioa.com
leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu

  • Zip House row protectors, gleneco1, 05/24/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Zip House row protectors, Chris Sawyer, 05/24/2002