market-farming - Re: Market dumpers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jim and Julie Vaughn <jjvaughn AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Market dumpers
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 10:03:13 -0500

Our area is much as Allison describes except that the two markets we sell
at are supposed to be grower only. BUT both use a certificate signed by
your local extension agent as proof of being a grower, and the truth is
that most agents are not going to do a farm check. One market is run by
the extension service and vendors are very blatant about peddling- even
to using produce boxes on items that are too early to be grown here.
This market is planning to bulid a new facility and go year-round which
will make the problem worse. On the bright side the local downtown
chamber of commerce is interested in keeping a market downtown and is
beginning the steps to start one that will be grower-only. The other
market is in its first year and hopefully will go to farm checks by the
market manager after we get enough vendors to pay the manager what the
job is worth.

It is frustrating to compete with the peddlers, but we have a core
customer group that pays for quality and freshness. We are lucky to sell
in the suburbs of Nashville- many of the rural markets here almost give
their product away.

Jim and Julie Vaughn
Rocky Glade Farm
Eagleville, TN