market-farming - Re: Market dumpers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Market dumpers
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:27:47 -0500

It seems that there is a mis-understanding here. I think what Phil is
saying is that his market will not change because of who is managing it. At
our market, pinhookers have ruled for years. In fact, the two worst
offending families held all the officers' posts. At this year's meeting,
new officers were elected, and the membership voted to keep the status quo.
That's democracy (and protectionism). Our farmers' market doesn't allow
anyone outside of the home county, which is increasingly urban, to sell, but
allows produce to be bought at any wholesale market and resold - without
even signage to let the consumer know. And, some of the sellers (they
aren't farmers), answer "of course it's homegrown" when people ask. and
laugh at the stupid customer, and brag behind their backs (everything is
grown at someone's home). There is no fixing our market, and possibly many
others like it. The only remedy is a new market. Our town is large enough
to support one, but we do not have the time and energy for all the startup -
and farm too. We have decided that it is what it is, we'll use it as a
retail outlet for our produce, and not get any more involved. It is not
worth our time and anxiety. If your markets are not like this, please count
your blessings! It is not pleasant to have to constantly compete with the
WalMart mentality at a Farmers'' Market.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm