market-farming - Re: Market dumpers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Market dumpers
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 23:51:07 +0000

Phil wrote:

>This give me two competitors selling herbs , bought form some outside
>source,
>and it is really getting hard to make a profit. The vege market here has
>always been bad for people buying from wholesalers and selling their stale
>produce really cheap, but people have kind of caught on to their game and
>have came back to buy fresh produce. But cheap plants is another story.

Hey Phil,

If you can't get your markets to make the rules suggested by Barb,
you will have to compete head on with the dumpers. The best way
to do this is to advertise and promote your brand as "fresh and local."

I know you don't believe in advertising, but the situation you are
describing is a prime example of why and when advertising in advance
of market goes to bat for you. If you can't convince people that your
herbs or veggies are of higher quality than those doing the dumping,
you are doomed to get hurt by the dumpers' actions every time.

When done properly, advertising and promotion allows you to fetch
a higher price for your wares than the unadvertized competition.

Sorry to hear about your woes.

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming