market-farming - Lights

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Lights
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 06:49:40 -0500

A friend who moved gave me his small lighting system for starting plants. I
have never used lights, and feel ambiguous about using them, but would like
to experiment a bit. I want to use them on some tomato and pepper
seedlings. I have south facing windows, but thought I would use the lights
to supplement the shorter day of light from the sun.

Could anyone with experience give me some advice about:

How long do I leave the plants under the lights, given that they are in a
south facing window with foil reflectors behind during the daylight hours?
Do they need to "sleep"?

Any other advice you could give me?

Jill

  • Lights, Jill Taylor Bussiere, 04/13/2002