market-farming - Re: water wheel planters

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: water wheel planters
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 06:26:27 -0500

> Does anyone have any experiences using the water wheel type transplanters?
> Good? Bad? No different than a mechanical type?

I have not used any other type of transplanter, but I used a water
wheel for several years and was quite pleased with it. It plants well
through plastic. I does need fairly loose soil; I have some clayey
places it did not do well in. As I recall, two guys (a tractor driver
and a plant dropper) could plant 600-800 plants an hour. We plant by
hand now and one man does 100-150 plants an hour. I quit using the
water wheel because it is easier for me to send a guy out to plant in
little bits of spare time than it is to get organized for a big
planting session and spend my time driving a tractor.

In hot dry weather, the starter solution deposited by the planter may be
enough to get the plants through the first day or two.

--
Willie Onward! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html