market-farming - Re: market displays and tables

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market displays and tables
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 05:19:48 -0800

Hi Joan et al,

I, too, used conference tables in part, because they were heavy. You are potentially putting a great deal of weight on the table when you display your produce and most folding camp tables just aren't made to hold that much poundage.

Your display selection criteria should probably be in this order:

1) Safety: Your own and your customers
No one wants a curious 4 year old to pull their chin up to table height and pull your display over on top of them. you don't want your table to collapse on you while your setting up.

2) Flexibility: you should look for "fixtures" that give you rhe greatest flexibility in as many foreseeable market situations as possible. This includes large and smaller spaces as well as pack-in markets.

3) Looks and appeal: If it's junky and can't be covered or you won't cover it, consider the message this puts out about your farm, your products and you.

4) Convenience or set-up and take down: This may have more to do with your hauling set up, as Joan implied, than with anything else. We bought an old 18 passenger Ford van as our market vehicle after giving up on a 1953 pick-up. We pulled the passenger seats out of the van and built a false floor using plywood and steel studs. Our tables, umbrellas, umbrella stands, scales, boards, cinder blocks, shade cloth, sign holding conduit, etc. all stored under the floor in their own locations. Baskets and other display ware had their place on top and there was a shelf to make stacking produce easier. Our standard picking and display boxes were wooden-ended, cardboard-sided LA lugs with lids, so we could stack them in the van.

We used conference tables we had pre-drilled with umbrella holes on one side and holes for our conduit arch on the other. We could set-up a two to three table display full of produce including umbrellas, signage, hanging scale and a second tier in front of the tables in 35-45 minutes - less if there were more than one person.

Heavy tables? Ask for and give help. we're all in this together.

Marcie
Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
3377 Early Times Ln
Auburn, CA 95603-7900
(530) 885-9201

  • Re: market displays and tables, Marcie Rosenzweig, 03/14/2002