market-farming - Cleaning cells

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Cleaning cells
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 04:53:04 -0800

Hi George, Judy, et al,

A very soft brush and a tub of any eco-friendly dish soap will remove most of the problems. What works as a good sterilizer is plain ol' sunlight. I wash my trays and prop them up with a southern slant so all the cels are exposed to the sun. leave them for a couple of days then turn them over and let the other surfaces bake a while.

NOte: This is not appropriate for surfaces in contact with with the final version of a food product ie tubs for washing salad mix etc. You'll want to use a strong oxidizer to thoroughly clean those tools. Chlorine bleach is common but environmentally nasty. Food-grade Peroxide or an ozone generator made for food, or certain ultra-violet light machies made for food will work for these. Ask your local organic certifier for a list of products.

Marcie
Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
3377 Early Times Ln
Auburn, CA 95603-7900
(530) 885-9201

  • Cleaning cells, Marcie Rosenzweig, 03/14/2002