market-farming - Re: market-farming digest: January 24, 2002

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William McKay" <bmckay55 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming digest: January 24, 2002
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:31:06

I do on line credit cards and it is not cheap. I did some serious shopping. If doing internet credit cards expect to pay at least (at the very least) $20 per month total for a gateway to a secure server and for a the priviledge of doing business with the company that processes your transactions; also expect to pay 2.5% or more of each sale plus usually a small fee per sale .25-30 cents) with a monthly minimum of $20-25 or so. If you are doing business on line, it is essential to have credit cards; for farmers markets, I do not suspect that anyone going there expects to wip out their visa card and have it accepted; most business is cash or perhaps a check in the odd situation.

For what it is worth, credit cards are definitely essential. When I started taking credit cards on line, sales went up by a factor of eight. That is serious money.

Regards

Bill McKay in Eastern Massachusetts and Seeds from Italy, Distributor of Italian Vegetable Seeds from Franchi Sementi spa, Bergamo, Italy; Seedsmen since 1783.