market-farming - bunching onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "BB" <boonies AT lcix.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: bunching onions
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:21:10 -0500

I have been wanting to comment about starting bunching onions/green onions/scallions  (I call them scallions) in groups in cells.

I did this last year with great success,  it allowed me to have green onions the entire season and it was so easy.  I planted five or six seeds per one inch cell, doing about two flats every two weeks.  Later in the spring I got creative and experimented with half inch cells and other sizes....everything worked,  it doesn't seem to matter how large or small the cell is.  Transplanting is simple, weed control is much easier,  and it is a pleasure to walk along the beds pulling whole bunches of scallions.

There are still about fifteen bunches out there in the frozen mud.  I dug a couple out with a shovel the other day and they still looked good and tasted fine.

I originally saw this idea in one of Eliot Coleman's books,  not sure which one.

Lori