market-farming - Partnership questions and potted herb plant niche for farmer's market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "gutierrez-lagatta" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Partnership questions and potted herb plant niche for farmer's market
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 03:00:48 -0600

Hi Paula,
It's nice to see you over here. I have a similar dream to bring my
sister in with me as a partner. How long did it take you guys to
figure out that there was a "control" issue?
> Adriana - very good advice. My sister worked for/with us here for a
couple
> of years. Then she and I found out just how much we're alike in our
need to
> be the one "in control" :>)

I think from a marketing position it is better to have a primary
niche, such as herbs, that distinguishes you, rather than be one of a
sea of faces offering a variety of vegetables. As "the herb lady" you
can always add vegetables to your offerings and your customers will
buy those at the same time. An interesting thing about the potted
herbs is that, because they only cost $2.50-4.00, and the farmer's
market experience is verymuch a social/recreational one, my friend
gets the same customers coming by every week. They buy 2-3 more
plants each time, adding to their collections. Then as the summer
rols along the buy more to replace the ones they've killed :>)..
> While Beth may not want to spend that amount of time and
> focus on herbal offerings, I definitely agree that there's a current
market
> for plants; and with a little research, you can offer basic growing
> techniques to your customers.

Adriana

  • Partnership questions and potted herb plant niche for farmer's market, gutierrez-lagatta, 01/20/2002