market-farming - organic amendments

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "nan and stewart" <stewart AT watervalley.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: organic amendments
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 16:48:29 -0600

Jeanine wrote:
> But I don't grow organic; we use 8-8-8 as our fertilizer. (Don't hiss
> please) I am interested in growing organic, but from what I have been
> reading it appears the EPA is going to be making it kind of hard with the
> purposed regulations. What type fertilizers do organic growers use?

Hi Jeanine...no hisses here,even though I am an organic grower.....I welcome
all locally grown produce! If you haven't already, check out ATTRA's
wonderful resource, "Organic Soil Amendments," for a very practical overview
and recommendation of what organic growers use for fertilizers/mineral
amendments. Even as a long time organic type, I learned alot from it. It's
is free, as are all their other great publications - call 1-800-346-9140
during business hours and you get a real live human being who has grown
veggies/ raised livestock, etc. him or herself too!

They have great stuff on composting too.

Re: to certify or not
Several organic growers in Mississippi have decided not to go for
certification, given that we can direct market and how cumbersome or even
invasive or ridiculous some of the regulations seem to be (compared to the
good ole days, when private 3rd party groups certified). So far, our
customers have been out to our farms, or know our reputations, and are happy
paying the price for the quality of the fresh produce - at our new farmer's
market in Oxford, MS this past summer, for example, people couldn't get
enough of the organic blueberries (the farmer did follow the USDA regs
exactly) - no matter what she charged, folks were wild to get more!!!!!
However, one advantage to getting certified now - it is very cheap in
Mississippi (unlike private, neighboring certifiers) and then you are IN!

.

  • organic amendments, nan and stewart, 01/19/2002