market-farming - Re: raw manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Patrick Stine" <patricks AT ccrtc.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: raw manure
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:14:45 -0500

See below for answers:

> Subject: Raw manure
> From: "Jeanine Fore" <Jeanine4 AT aol.com>
> Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:48:45 -0500

it appears the EPA is going to be making it kind of hard with the
> purposed regulations. That is if I am comprehended what I have read
> correctly. What type fertilizers do organic growers use?

There are several approved organic fertilizers, I personally favor Fertrells
brand, I can get 50 lb bags from them and the fertilizer is certified
organic. Otherwise I would suggest you get the approved list of
materials(fertilizers,feed additives,pesticides) from the govt's organic
website

> My main question is what is the definition of raw manure?
>
> To me it means that the steam is still rising from it. My husband thinks
> it means manure that is dry or fresh, standing alone by itself, with no
> other additives. Our daughter (a teenager) thinks it just gross that I am
> asking someone about poop.
>
> In one of the GFM newsletters, (April 2000) there was an article about not
> using raw manure on crops within 90 to 120 days of harvest. (EPA's
> opinion, not organic growers opinion)Is the use of raw manure banned now?

Raw manure refers to UNCOMPOSTED Manure in the EPA's definition. Read the
chapters on composting guidelines in the national regs.
The restriction of manure to beds that are to be harvested in the 120 day
time frame was added to elevate fears of e-coli contamination.

> Another reason behind the question is: I was planning on purchasing a
> compost tumbler, and mixing dry horse manure (we have large quantities of
> the stuff) with leaves, pine straw, etc. And with hopes of having in 14
> days, dark compost to enrich our fields. The compost tumbler holds 18
> bushels, I realize it want go that far in the fields, but we have several
> bad spots in the gardens and we are going to put it out in the worst spots
> first.

I use a compost tumbler and other methods also. I like the tumbler but it
takes a couple of batches to get the hang of balancing your
carbon/nitrogen/water ratio's. Also make sure it is somewhere you walk by
daily or you will start to skip tumbling it on a daily basis.

> Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thank for reading,
> Jeanine Fore
> The Veggie Nook
> Perkinston, MS

  • Raw manure, Jeanine Fore, 01/18/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Raw manure, Lucy Owsley, 01/19/2002
    • Re: raw manure, Patrick Stine, 01/19/2002