market-farming - Re: Raw manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Raw manure
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 08:35:55 -0500

I'm suprised a compost tumbler could make enough compost for a market
garden assuming it is an acre or more. We make compost in 50' long piles
that are turned about every 10 to 15 days for several weeks than allowed
to sit, covered for 6 to 9 months to finish. They heat up to 140 during
the period the pile is turned.

We use chicken manure, garden waste, straw and non meat kitchen waste in
the pile. We use chicken manure because we raise chickens and have it on
hand, any kind will work (caution-do not use manures of carnivores i.e.
dogs and cats).

Raw manure is manure that has not been aged for at least 6 months or
actively composted. The new organic standards have a lot of regulations
about the use of raw manure. The use of raw manure is discouraged by
organic growers as composted manure is a better way to go.

If you use raw manure it is best applied in the fall on fallow fields.
Never use it on growing food crops.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)

  • Raw manure, Jeanine Fore, 01/18/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Raw manure, Lucy Owsley, 01/19/2002
    • Re: raw manure, Patrick Stine, 01/19/2002