market-farming - Re: Introduction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Introduction
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:04:33 -0500

Hi Brian,
I am in Asheville, started farming four years ago after an accident that made
other work impossible. (ruptured discs require constant moving, and farming
is
the ticket for me). I had land and no training or experience. We are going
into
our fourth commercial year and are members of Carolina Organic Growers, a
cooperative selling and distributing organic vegetables from Asheville to
Raleigh. This year we will expanding into Atlanta as Wellspring is moving
their
warehouse there from Raleigh. I suggest you check out the Organic growers
school
put on by Carolina Farm Stewardship Association which is coming up really
fast.
There are other 'seminars' going on this month and next throughout the state,
and a lot of NC's community colleges now have courses on successful small farm
options.
We have one member who has consistently made over 20K part time on one acre,
he
is an exec and his wife a lawyer and grows mostly tomatoes in greenhouses and
lettuces, with a sideline of holly propagation for landscaping sales.
You are welcome to come and visit if you are ever in the area,
www.jakesfarm.com

Welcome to the list,
Chris