market-farming - Re: Tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tillers
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:59:48 -0600

The discussion of tillers reminded me of this....Below is something I wrote
for another in April of last year - I had been reading Zen and the Art of
Motorcycle Maintenance with my son.
**********************

Today was stunningly beautiful - up to 60 degrees even, sunny, the ground is
even drying a bit after raining all week.

One of my chores today was to replace the reverse disc on the tiller and
replace the tines.

Well, when I went to start the tiller, I noted that it was leaning markedly
to the right. Flat tire. After it reluctantly started up, it and I moved
out of the granary and into a sunny place in the yard. I was hoping it was
just deflated, but no. There is no tube, and the tire was unsealed from the
wheel rim. My husband came out and we worked on getting the wheel off - but
instead snapped the bolt that was holding it onto the frame.

Oh well - have to have Mertens small engine repair work on it - a
neighborhood mechanic.

So, onto the reverse disc. Not too bad to take off - easy to replace.

I'm in the sun, I'm spraying the WD40 on the rusty bolts, and I've got
several wrenches scattered on the ground, the new tines in a box, and I'm
taking the old tines off. Suddenly I remember Bob, and I start to identify
with the Maintenance part.

I was hoping I would philosophically render our discussion this past day
about individuals, corporations, change, and limits to land, but nothing
waxed eloquent in my brain. In fact nothing waxed at all, really. Perhaps
I was relating more to Ram Dass and his "Be here now" than to Zen.

The redness of the tiller shone in the sun, and I felt pretty cool - just
like Bob and his motorcycle. I do like to work with such stuff.

The wind turned pretty cool, and the shade crept over the tiller. So,
after having taken the tines off of one side, I left the rest for another
day.

Jill