market-farming - Re: yardlongs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: yardlongs
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:57:14 -0600

I grow the lianas also - they are pretty amazing - even in our awful heat
they just kept cranking out the beans - you just can't go a day without
picking because they size up fast - I just made them my first morning chore,
took up my coffee mug and a dishpan and picked lianas. Its really easy to
miss them among the weeds at ground level and when they are finally spied
they are way too large to market but they seem to make a fine seed for next
season's crop!

Is perilla a sort of lacy leaf? I think it was given to me as Japanese
basil a few years back and it keeps reseeding. I minced it up and used it
in a slaw, I think, and we liked it. But hey - if the deer don't like it
that may be its most redeeming feature.

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas

  • Re: yardlongs, Joan Vibert, 01/15/2002