market-farming - More on perilla. . .

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT snip.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: More on perilla. . .
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:51:25 -0500

Joan wrote:

>Is perilla a sort of lacy leaf?

It's purple with sort of a scallopy edge. It smells vaguely lemonish.

> I think it was given to me as Japanese
>basil a few years back and it keeps reseeding.

I've heard it called that, but my gardeners are too nervous about this
BRIGHT PURPLE plant with the lemony smell to quit using their Italian basil
for pesto! ;-)

I minced it up and used it
>in a slaw, I think, and we liked it. But hey - if the deer don't like it
>that may be its most redeeming feature.

Deer won't touch it -- I've found their tracks walking around it to the
better stuff on the other side of the garden! It also gets a long flower
stalk that the bees absolutely adore. We took up a bunch of the old plants
and dumped them in the back of the garden so that they would reseed and keep
the bees happy. But we're looking for ways for it to make us happy too! ;-)

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of

  • More on perilla. . ., Alliums, 01/15/2002