market-farming - RE: weasel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: weasel
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 22:28:01 -0500

In a pastured poultry setup the poultry is kept inside of
cages that are moved every day. Weasels cannot gain access
unless the cages are not built and managed properly.

Perhaps you are thinking of "free range" poultry.

Marc
Ark Valley Farms

Actually, I think most pastured cages are made of chicken wire, not rat wire. A medium sized weasel will easily penetrate the wire mesh on a typical chicken tractor.

Some people get around this by running a hotwire around the portable cage, but, boy, what a hassle that can be! (adding a battery and a 'fence' charger).

I suspect, however, that weasels don't travel too far into pastures.

  • weasel, Allan Balliett, 12/21/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: weasel, sunnfarm, 12/21/2001
    • RE: weasel, Allan Balliett, 12/21/2001
    • Re: weasel, Karen Cannon, 12/21/2001
    • RE: weasel, marc, 12/22/2001
    • RE: weasel, Allan Balliett, 12/22/2001