market-farming - Re: Winter growing in Zone 3 & 4

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu ("Market Farming")
  • Subject: Re: Winter growing in Zone 3 & 4
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 12:48:38 -0500

When its zero outside at night its no more than 5-8* in the hoophouse, most
cold hardy stuff will survive but get tip burn after sunup, then start to
rot, you can cover beds on ground with plastic and get better
protection,using rowcover material scratches tender leaves,I use a heater set
at 35* and that solves everything except making a profit...Bob.

>I have read the book and many other's. the problem is when it is 20 below
>zero for along period of time it is 20 below in the hoop house and
>regardless
>of how many row covers you have on the lettuce the lettuce will freeze and
>turn the leaves brown as soon as you harvest it.

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/