market-farming - Winter growing in Zone 3 & 4

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu (market Framing)
  • Subject: Winter growing in Zone 3 & 4
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:47:45 EST

Has anyone out there done winter growing in hoophouses in my Zones. Last
winter in December it stayed around 10 below zero for 28 days, with only 4 of
those days with sun shining. The wind blew at about 20 miles per hour each
day as will. Has anyone had any luck growing greens in this type of
conditions. I've tryed now for 4 years to get a profitable crop in the
winter, and when the really cold weather sets in my crop goes south evenwith
hanging heaters. and then the propane bill kills any profit that can be
obtained. What kind of experience have any of you had?

Phil from Iowa