market-farming - Health Insurance?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "WB Carver" <wbcarver AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Health Insurance?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 04:21:05 -0500

Hey All.

-----Original Message-----
From: sora <sora AT coldreams.com>
To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>

>I run a small CSA--Farmer's Market operation in North Idaho.
>I manage to get by and make a profit.
>My question to you all is How do you deal
>with Health Insurance?

As we are about to make a decision on health insurance, I would be
interested some feedback on this too.

Here are a couple of things I have done in the past for insurance, but I was
in a different business and in a different part of the country at the time.

1) Check with your local chamber of commerce. Sometimes you can get
insurance through them. It is almost like a group.
This is unfortunately not an option where I am now.

2) The National Association for The Self-Employed (NASE) offers a variety of
services for self-employed people. Health Insurance being the biggest item.
I used the NASE several years ago and they were pretty good at the time.
BUT...
Recently, I tried to get a quote from them, and after filling out the form
on the web site http://www.nase.org/ I took several weeks to hear anything
from them. Then, when a rep did finally contact us, he said he had to come
out to the house to do the sales pitch thing and wouldn't give up any
information otherwise. We scheduled an appointment and then the day of the
appointment, we get a call a couple hours "after" he was supposed to be here
to say his car broke down and he couldn't make it. He did finally give us
his phone number, (which we didn't even have until that point) and said we
should call him to make another appointment. To be honest, I haven't
called him back, but then again he has never followed up either.

All this is to say, I am not getting warm fuzzy feelings about NASE these
days.
Does anyone else have any "recent" experience with NASE?

Regards,

WB (Bill) Carver
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield, NC