market-farming - Re: Health Insurance?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Health Insurance?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:55:29 -0500

I haven't researched health insurance lately- we're covered under a state
plan that
includes Medicaid, uninsured and uninsurable.

20 years ago, however, we had what we called a "catastrophic" group policy
with a
friend- enough people to make a "group" -back then you only needed 3 people.
We
had a group policy through a major insurance company. It was cheaper and more
comprehensive than an individual policy. ("Catastrophic because we chose a
high
deductible to keep the premiums lower.)

Our "group" was not employment related, it was "association" related. We had
an
organization, incorporated through the state as a not-for-profit (not 501-c3
with
feds). If you have any orgs. or assocs., it's easy to incorporate.

My experience has been that I get better coverage and service with a major
insurance co. And the key to good service is a local agent who provides
service,
not just sells policies. Look for someone who handles insurance the same way
you
do your farm business- service, knowledge, competence and people oriented.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm