market-farming - Windy market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Windy market
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 17:58:49 -0400

We had adventure and drama today.

Today's farmer's market was windy to say the least. our EZ-up nearly
bought the farm when wind caught it and moved it around our FM set up.
one leg was bungeed to our truck so it couldn't get too far and only a
basket of onions was upset.

later in the day, while we were tearing down, another big wind came up
and caught the awning of an Amish woman, marketing by herself. She has
one of those 15'X 20' outfits with the silver tarp roof that you bungee
to metal pipes and it hadn't budged all morning. She had tried to tie
her tent down after seeing ours try and take off. She was selling
pumpkins so she tied some sisal twine to a heavy box of pumpkins The
wind picked up the tent, despite the extra weight and tried to send it
out onto a very busy road (Rt. 40) but a tree caught the tent and bent
up a couple of legs and sent squash flying. My husband and I ran over to
help her out and so did some guy driving by the market (who than bought
several pumpkins and tomatoes from her-new market customer) and we
quickly got the thing apart and out of danger.

It is hard to secure sun shade when you market on asphalt. I did suggest
to Mrs. lapp that she get a few 5 gallon buckets filled with sand or
gravel for something to tie down her tent. They, of course, don't have a
truck to tie the tent to.

We finished packing up and went home after that.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)