market-farming - Re: Windy market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Windy market
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:47:23 -0500

Lucy,

We had a pretty windy day last weekend. No one put up their tents. It was
freezing (mid-30's when we opened) so being out in the sun was a welcome
relief. We also sell on asphalt.

I recall one day last summer when a tent DID go flying out into a busy
street. No one was hurt but this does bring up issues with liability and
the problems we all run into with the weather when we are selling outside -
which occurs all the time at our market.

As an aside, our market association has decided to run a winter market. It
will be inside. Most of the vendors will be selling chicken, pork, dried
herbs, craft items, etc. I don't know if the group will suspend the rules
for selling produce - not much growing here in the winter unless it is in a
greenhouse or hoophouse.. I'm thinking about it. Lettuces perhaps. And
herbs. It will be interesting to see if it is possible to develop a
successful winter market in east central Illinois. Well, at least no tents.
Just the drudgery of moving inside to sell and moving it all back on the
truck to go home.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton, IL

  • Windy market, Lucy Owsley, 10/13/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Windy market, Del Williams, 10/14/2001
    • Re: Windy market, wiediger, 10/14/2001