market-farming - Re: Sorrel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Miranda Smith <miranda3 AT optonline.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sorrel
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 14:16:42 -0400

Hi. The Sorrel to which the customer is probably referring is French Sorrel.
It's unlikely that it grows wild there. A couple of weeds are also called
sorrel. Anyway, French sorrel is a snap to grow. You start from seed in the
early spring and transplant out at about 12" spacing in moist, high organic
matter soil. It's a perennial. You harvest by cutting off the top of the
plant--give it a haircut. The leaves are arrow shaped and have long
petioles, so you will be cutting below the bottom of the leaf. You can take
cuttings a couple of times in the spring and a couple of times in the fall.
It's a rumex, so look for the long panicle of seeds--and cut them off before
they develop. If you let it go to seed, it will invade whatever area it is
in or close to with a vengence.

Look in classic cookbooks for sorrel soup recipes--Yum. It's lemony tasting.
You can put tiny little leaves in salad mix, but only a few. Too many and
they overpower the mix.

It's a fun crop. I love it, not only because it tastes good, but also
because it's nearly indestructable. Just don't let it go to seed. . . . .

Miranda