market-farming - Re: Sorrel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: glenda J Aughinbaugh <aughinbaugh AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Sorrel
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 08:06:20 -0500

>Though both have a lemony flavor, sheep sorrel is considered a
medicinal, has
>small, reddish leaves, shallow roots and sends out underground runners.

I don't normally post here, but I have spent enough hours in the
greenhouse trying to get rid of all those "underground runners" that I
felt it my duty to warn anyone thinking about growing this, it will
become a NOXIOUS WEED in your greenhouse and you will never be able to
get rid of it! The seed pods ripen and when touched spew seeds up to 3
feet away...you can't control it. It very well may be medicinal, but by
all means keep it outdoors! (It was brought in hitchhiking with a potted
plant at the place I worked, they had never seen it and let it grow, now
it sprouts up everywhere in the greenhouse.)
The sorrel I am familiar with for culinary use, is the French Sorrel. A
friend likes it in salads and in soup, but I agree, it was a little
strong for my taste. It is a very hardy perennial in our area (zone 5).

Rebecca Aughinbaugh
NW Missouri

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.