market-farming - "Minor" subdivisions of land

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • Subject: "Minor" subdivisions of land
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 06:07:45 -0700

Hello folks,

Our local Ag Commission along with our local Land Trust are trying to develop some sort of points system to act as a gudieline to the Planning Commission when the PC considers "minor" subdivisions of agriculturally-zoned parcels. One of the insideous ways we're losing our ag lands is that someone will take, for instance an 80-acre parcel and ask for a variance to split it into 4 20-acre parcels. Several years later, the owners of one of the 20-acre parcels will ask for a variance to split it into 2 10-acre parcels. Because these are "minor zoning variances" there's a "nail and mail" notification. i.e. contiguous property owners get mailed a hearing notice (ususally conveniently scheduled for mid-morning of a week day) and an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet gets nailed to a fence post on the parcel for 30 days prior to the hearing, effectively limiting public notice.

Obviously, in spite of the general plan language to support agriculture , the aggregate of these minor variances are severely limiting the economics of agricultural parcels remaining.

Has anyone worked on this problem in your area? What did you come up with?

Marcie

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
3377 Early Times Ln